Courses & Activities
- The Hixson Seminar (U ST 101A) provides an introduction to life and resources at Iowa State University and an orientation to the functions of the Hixson Program. It is a one-credit course consisting of large group lecture and recitation. The seminar helps Hixson Scholars adjust to college life, develop better self-understanding, and gain more knowledge about their learning processes. The course provides a support system for examining difficulties associated with the first-year college experience in an atmosphere that is less formal than traditional college courses. Each first year Hixson scholar will aslo have a recitation section, led by one of the pairs pictured in "Hixson Peer Mentors" tab of the navigation.
- The Hixson Newsletter is a weekly email and monthly newsletter that informs Hixson Scholars of dates and times of upcoming Hixson activities. This newsletter also conveys important information regarding the university and student services.
- Hixson Student Board promotes community among Hixson Scholars through activities within the university and through monthly special events.
- Community Service is an important part of the Hixson Program. First-year scholars are invited to serve as ambassadors of higher education, attending speaking engagements at their high schools or service clubs.
- Sophomore Connections are sophomore Hixson scholars who serve as a mentor for the next award winner from their home county. They provide advice and share the fun of being a student at Iowa State.
Hixson Leadership Seminars (U ST 311 & 312)
are courses designed to give upper division Hixson Scholars the opportunity to lead the Hixson Seminar. Students serve as peer mentors and role models for first year students and complete an one-year intensive training program. In addition, peer mentors develop and implement lesson plans, lead group discussions and facilitate activities concerning a multitude of topics including ISU history and traditions, test taking, study habits, stress management, identity development, time management, diversity and adapting to change.